40 Reasons to have a home birth
Have you ever wondered why women choose to homebirth?
The decision to homebirth is not taken lightly. Women and their partners I have worked with over the past 20 years take into careful consideration the pros and cons of birth place.
The reason/s homebirth is chosen is usually multifaceted. The list provided here is by no means exhaustive nor does it provide an explanation of each point. Those posts are coming soon!
40 Reasons to have a homebirth: Version 1
- Homebirth is safe. Yes I have the evidence to back this statement.
- You will have greater control and autonomy over your decisions
- Choice of model of care
- Choice of caregiver. You select your midwife personally.
- Choice of support team
- Greater partner involvement
- Students upon invitation only
- Children can be there if you wish
- Pets can be there if you wish
- No rush to hospital in labour
- You won’t have to factor in time driving in labour (See the birth story of Christopher)
- Your car won’t be spotted at the hospital by the local gossip
- No food restriction in labour
- No covert or overt pressure for interventions
- Higher chance of normal physiological labour. No time line
- You don’t have to have routine vaginal examinations or monitoring
- Water birth is a real choice
- Your birth plan won’t be scorned and scoffed at (yes this still happens)
- Your chiropractor can home visit
- You can use herbs, essential oils, homeopathy at your discretion without negotiation and reprimand
- The ability to move around freely, walk, sit, stand, rock, dance ..whatever you like is greatly improved
- You can birth outside if you want
- Music of your choice can be played or you can have none at all
- Hospital acquired infections are eliminated
- There are no strange hospital antiseptic smells
- Privacy: No strangers will be bursting into your room
- No noise from adjoining labour rooms
- No noisy cleaners banging around with mops and dusters
- Home cooked food is there for you
- You are less likely to require drugs
- Higher chance of normal vaginal birth
- Photos and videos won’t be restricted
- Physiological third stage : Delayed cord clamping is under your control
- Skin to skin contact with your baby is a given
- Lotus birth becomes a real option without recrimination and lectures
- The fate of baby’s placenta is your choice
- Your baby will not be mixed up with another
- Baby will not be separated from mother.
- You can have a cup of tea in your own cup in your own bed or lounge after the birth
- Visiting is restricted to invited guests only. No randoms will wander in.
I will expand in detail on this list and add to it as things come to mind.
I would love to have your feedback.
Have I forgotten anything??
You can read Lilyanna’s birth story here.
..Well, my version anyway. I am still waiting for her mum’s version 🙂